Follow Indy on the quest that started it all, as he races from the Himalayan Mountains to the Egyptian desert in a high-stakes chase to track down the Ark of the Covenant. He must recover it before the Nazis do--or whole world could be in danger.
Differences from the film
- Instances of profanity have been edited.
- The book specifies the story as taking place in the weeks after the 1936 Olympic Games.
- Background is provided on Barranca and Satipo, such as their meeting with Indiana Jones at Machete Landing and their frustrations with Peru having been ordered to have a rematch after defeating Austria at the Olympics.
- The Peruvian Porter and the other porters are mentioned to be indigenous Quechuans.
- Barranca is killed by the Hovitos with dozen of arrows instead of poisonous darts.
- On the Pan Am Clipper, Indy is served by an steward who attended him on a previous flight.
- Indiana Jones
- Peruvian Porter
- René Emile Belloq
- Jock Lindsey
- "Love you" student
- Marcus Brody
- Abner Ravenwood (Mentioned only)
- Trenchcoated European Spy
- Marion Ravenwood
- Arnold Ernst Toht
- Ratty Nepalese
- Mean Mongolian
- Herman Dietrich
- Monkey Man
Behind the scenes
The book states that Indiana Jones is 36 years old during the story. However, with Jones' birth date as July 1899, and the summer Olympics taking place in August 1936, the archaeologist has had his 37th birthday.