The Lebanese Republic was, for more than 400 years, a part of the Ottoman Empire. In the aftermath of the First World War, France inherited the Mandate of Syria, which comprised Lebanon. On September 1, 1926 France founded the Lebanese Republic.
Notable Lebanese[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- In Raiders of the Lost Ark (set in 1936), the map showing the flight to Egypt mistakenly displays Lebanon as part of Syria, when in fact Lebanon was a French territorial mandate at the time, and has not been part of Syria since 1920.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Indiana Jones Explores Ancient Rome
- The World of Indiana Jones
- Indiana Jones and the Lands of Adventure
- Lines in the Sand - The Middle East and the Great War (Non-fiction source)