New Mexico is a state in the southwest portion of the United States of America, and borders Mexico. Home to many different Native American tribes, the land was part of Mexico, before the territory was ceded to the United States in 1848. In the early twentieth century, New Mexico was sparsely populated, and its economy was most known for ranching and mining. States that border New Mexico include Arizona, Colorado, Texas and Oklahoma.
In the spring of 1916, Indy and his father traveled to New Mexico to stay with Grace and Uncle Fred. Telling their parents they were going camping, Frank and Indy traveled south to Columbus, to cross the border and visit a bordello, but unfortunately, Indy ended up captured by Pancho Villa's men.
Behind the scenes
New Mexico was also the shooting location for some scenes of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In the movie, however, the location of these scenes is indicated as being Nevada.
- The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles – "Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal" → Spring Break Adventure
- Mexico, March 1916
- Who Are Those Guys? (Non-fiction source)
- The World of Indiana Jones
- The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
- Production Diary: Making of "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"