Peru is a country on the west coast of South America. The three main regions of the country are the drier coastal areas, the Andes mountains, and the Amazon rain forest in the eastern part of the country. The capital of Peru is Lima and is also the largest and most important city in the country.
In the pre-Columbian times, Peru was home to several cultural groups including the Chachapoyans and later the Inca Empire, whose civilization flourished until it was overthrown by Spanish conquistadors in the 1500s. Because of its long history, it is home to many archaeological sites that were not fully explored until modern times. The country's population is a mixture of indigenous groups, such as the Hovitos, and descendants of settlers from Spain and other countries.
Adventures in Peru
In 1935, Forrestal traveled to Peru to recover the Chachapoyan fertility idol and disappeared. The following year, Indiana Jones traveled to Peru to recover the idol and determine Forrestal's fate. After claiming the idol from the Temple of the Chachapoyan Warriors, Indy was forced to give it up to another competitor, René Belloq, and flee via amphibious plane.
In 1941, Peru and its neighboring country to the north, Ecuador, engaged in a border war, in which Peruvian troops captured the Ecuadorian port of Puerto Bolivar. At this time, Indiana Jones had clearance to excavate an Incan shrine, but was forced to flee when fake wanted posters with his picture surfaced, and the Peruvian army chased him from the site. Jones escaped through the jungle to Ecuador, not knowing that Peruvian forces already occupied his planned escape point.
Indiana Jones returned to Peru in 1957 with Mutt Williams, following clues by old colleague Harold Oxley. Oxley went there to locate a crystal skull, which he found in the secret gravechamber of Francisco de Orellana in a secret graveyard near Nazca on a cliff overlooking the Nazca lines. Jones and Williams followed clues left in Oxley's cell in the Nazca sanatorium to discover Orellana's grave and find the crystal skull that Oxley had returned to the site. Unfortunately, George McHale had followed Jones, and the Soviet Special Forces captured Jones and Williams and took them to a jungle camp in the Amazon rain forest to find Akator.
Locations in Peru
- Nazca Plain
- Temple of the Chachapoyan Warriors
- Lake Titicaca area
- Pachacuti's tomb
- Incan Shrine (near border with Ecuador)
- The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles – "Princeton, February 1916" → Spring Break Adventure (Indirect mention)
- Indiana Jones Adventure World
- Indiana Jones and the Legion of Death
- Raiders of the Lost Ark novel (First appearance)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark junior novel
- Raiders of the Lost Ark comic
- Raiders of the Lost Ark Read-Along Adventure
- Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
- The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones – "The Gold Goddess" (Mentioned only)
- The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones – "Good as Gold"
- The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones – "Double Play!" (Mentioned only)
- Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
- Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer
- Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead (Mentioned only)
- Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods (Cancelled)
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull novel
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comic
- Meet Indy
- Meet Mutt
- LEGO Indiana Jones Adventures
- LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
- LEGO Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Brick
- LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
- Raiders of the Lost Ark Game
- The Adventures of Indiana Jones
- Raiders of the Lost Ark TSR
- Raiders of the Lost Ark Sourcebook
- Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide
- The Indiana Jones Handbook
- The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
- The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones
- Indiana Jones World Map