- "Ahh.. Venice!"
- ―Indiana Jones[src]
Piazza San Marco, also known as St Mark's Square, is the largest piazza, or open square, in Venice, Italy. Located near the center of the city, the square is paved with Istrian marble. Located on the piazza are several prominent buildings, including the Biblioteca di San Barnaba. Also in the square is a fountain and some alfresco dining. A sewer runs under the piazza. Pigeons are known to flock in the square.
History[edit | edit source]
In 1938, Indiana Jones, Marcus Brody and Elsa Schneider crossed the square to enter the library. Sometime later, a wet Jones and Schneider emerged from a manhole in the dining area, having escaped from the catacombs. The pair were spotted by members of the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword, who chased them out of the piazza and onto some speedboats toward the Grand Canal.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
In real life, Piazza San Marco is the site of St. Mark's Basilica, and is not the site for the Church of San Barnaba (filming site for the library).
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade novel
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 1989 junior novel
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 2008 junior novel
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade comic
- Indiana Jones and the Gold of Genghis Khan
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide
- The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones (as "square in front of the library" in La Gazzetta di Venezia clipping)