- "Quicksand is a mix of sand, mud and water and depending on the viscosity it's not as dangerous as people sometimes think."
- ―Indiana Jones[src]
Quicksand is a form of sand that yields to weight or pressure, thus causing someone stepping on it to sink into it. Quicksand exists in two different forms:
- Normal quicksand is a mixture of sand and water. When the water cannot escape, a sudden change in pressure causes the sand to form a suspension and lose strength.
- A dry sandpit is a pit filled with loose sand through which air is blown so that the sand has a reduced bulk density. It contains no water and therefore is also called dry quicksand.
Adventures with quicksand
In 1936, Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood got trapped in quicksand while fleeing crocodiles in Africa. They were rescued by Curt Johan Vogel, a Nazi SS colonel disguised as a doctor from the Dutch Pharmaceutical Expedition.
In 1957, when Jones, Ravenwood, Mutt Williams and Harold Oxley were held captive by Russians under the command of Irina Spalko at a Brazilian jungle camp, Mutt created a diversion so that the four could escape. Hiding from their pursuers, the group left the way. Jones and Marion accidentally stepped into a dry sandpit and began to sink in.
While sinking, Jones explained the difference between the dry sandpit and normal quicksand, stating that they had nothing to worry about. Until a void collapse changed his mind. When Oxley went away to get help and Mutt searched for something he could use to pull them from the pit, Marion, in the belief that they would die, told Jones that Mutt was his son. Jones then reproached her for letting the boy quit school.
Mutt returned with an abnormally large rat snake and threw it to Marion so that he could pull her out of the pit. When he threw it to Jones, however, the archaeologist refused to touch the reptile due to his ophidiophobia. It was only when Mutt and Marion exasperatedly followed Jones's demand to call the snake a rope that Jones reluctantly grabbed it and allowed himself to be rescued. In the meantime, Oxley brought the Soviets as "help" so the four were recaptured.
- The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles game
- The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones – "Africa Screams!"
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull novel
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull junior novel