On February 21, 2018, Lucasfilm sound editor Matthew Wood revealed that the Wilhelm scream would no longer be used in any of their upcoming Star Wars films following the release of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, being retired in favor of a new stock sound effect.
Whether or not the upcoming fifth Indiana Jones feature will follow this new tradition has yet to be established.
Indiana Jones scenes employing the Wilhelm scream[edit | edit source]
- A Nazi soldier falls from the back of the truck carrying the Ark of the Covenant.
- Another Nazi falls off the side of the truck.
- Indiana Jones is rolled on a cart into the Club Obi Wan orchestra.
- Lao Che's chief henchman and gunner is shot.
- Mola Ram is eaten by crocodiles.
- A Nazi's grenade kills a member of the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword sending him down a hill, another can be heard 4 seconds later.
- A Belgian soldier got hit by a German mortar bomb.
- A German soldier gets stabbed by a charging Belgian soldier in the trench.
- A Belgian soldier is set on fire by German flamethrowers.
- Abbreviated Wilhelm screams can be heard when several soldiers are killed.
- A truck and its driver crashes into a pile of hay after the engine got hit by machine gun fire from a German biplane.
- An Australian soldier gets hit by a Turkish mortar bomb.
- The student in the Marshall College library screams a slightly cut-off Wilhelm scream before Mutt Williams drops his motorcycle.
- A Nazi guard screams a Wilhelm when Jones ploughs through the wooden foundations of his Sudanese watch tower in a truck.
- As does a tong in the Chinatown cable car chase.
[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Famous 'Wilhelm scream' goes silent in 'Star Wars' galaxy at [abcnews.go.com/ ABC News]